Symoné Spencer Wins ‘Best Actress’ at Triangle Rising Stars: What’s Next?

On May 11th, Enloe Chamber Choir student Symoné Spencer won the “Best Actress” award for Triangle Rising Stars, a musical theater competition located at the Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC). Over 100 students from 32 high schools in central North Carolina participated in the competition this year, all hoping to place as one of the twenty finalists. Four Enloe students placed in this year’s competition: Noah Colvin, Ryan Gregory, Conor Kruger, and of course, Symoné Spencer. Ms. Hallihan adds, “…the students have to submit their own auditions, it’s all up to them. So, when they achieve something, they know it’s because they did something. I’m super proud of our four students who all made it because that was at their own volition.”

Spencer performed “Don’t Rain on My Parade” from FUNNY GIRL, a piece that beautifully encapsulates her wide range and theater performance abilities. She said in an interview with Broadway World that this song was one that she was able to connect with, and that “it showed a different side of me that I had never seen before, so I just wanted to show that to everyone else.” Ms. Hallihan commented, “I was super proud of Symoné’s performance. She actually came and sang it for me and Ms.Thornton before rehearsals started and asked for some feedback and she’s just amazing. I’m super proud of where she’s grown because when I think back at her as a freshman, to where she is now, it’s really cool to see that big change.”

Out of ten other high school participants, Spencer won “Best Actress” for her performance in the competition. She has been involved in musical theater since the fifth grade and received pre-professional training from the NC Conservatory. Spencer also has participated in several Enloe musicals, most recently playing the Leading Player in Pippin! Reflecting back on her time spent training for Triangle Rising Stars, Spencer remarked, “…it never really feels like a competition. It mostly feels like you’re just bonding with people that love to do the same thing as you.” She mentioned that her favorite part of musical theater is the cast and getting to meet new people. The biggest thing she took away from the competition was remembering that the competition is not what is most important; she wanted to shift her focus from the competition to the journey with the new friends she made: “I feel like the journey is the most important part of anything that you do because you learn so much from so many people.” 

Spencer will be heading to New York City in June to participate in the Jimmy Awards, where the “Best Actor” and the “Best Actress” from every state will compete to be crowned the best in their craft at a national level. Following the end of her senior year, Spencer plans to major in musical theater at the University of North Carolina Greensboro. She has made her mark at Enloe High School and will continue to be recognized as one of the best actresses and singers the school ever had. This eagle just grew her feathers and is ready to take flight into the world of professional musical theater.