Senior Spotlight: Sam Heyl

Dear Sam Heyl

Imagine this: You’re walking barefoot through a field of sunflowers during high noon, the warm summer wind tickling your ears. A bluebird flutters for a moment, circling before landing on your straw hat. Seemingly out of nowhere, twenty golden retriever puppies run towards you through the field, tackling you and covering your face in licks and little puppy smiles. That’s exactly what it feels like when you meet Sam Heyl. She’s bright, full of surprises, and never fails to make your day. 

“I think she’s extremely dedicated and very, very good at what she does,” says Olivia Metelo. But what might you not know about the Eagle’s Eye’s resident ray of sunshine?

The first thing to know is that her talents aren’t limited to just writing amazing pieces for our student newspaper— she’s also a talented animator and artist. Sam was accepted to the Savannah College of Art and Design and intends to go into animation as her major. She’s been animating since her freshman year and has been passionate about it for even longer. She draws her inspiration from some of her favorite animated TV shows like The Owl House and Over the Garden Wall. She has a deep interest in observing and drawing people, and is amazing at using her art style while still staying true to the subject. If you were to catch her during her free time, it wouldn’t be uncommon to see Sam practicing character drawing and filling up her sketchbook from corner to corner, pursuing her dreams of animation as a career. In fact, Olivia Metelo had math with her, and once looked over to none other than Sam doodling a little sketch of her. It’s these little things that makes Sam the person we have grown to love so much. 

When talking to Olivia more, she chose the color pink to represent her, “One of the reasons I picked pink is, she wears it a lot, but also I know she’s very passionate about, activism relating to female rights and women’s activism.” She spends a lot of time in newspaper writing about these issues. 

“One in particular was she wrote an opinion article about the overturning of Roe v Wade last year, which did like really, really well. She’s very talented in that regard.” Other newspaper members, Jonah Yinger and Kelley Calvillo, used words like, “kind”, “caring”, “attentive”, “driven”, and “incredibly respectful of people’s artistic integrity”. It is clear Sam is an integral part of newspaper, and everyone will dearly miss her next year. 

One thing I, Nora, have in common with Sam is our music taste. Both of us LOVE Taylor Swift. So I thought I would put together a little playlist of Taylor Swift songs that remind me of Sam.

• Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince
  • The Best Day(Taylor’s Version)
  • mad woman 
  • New Romantics
  • Bejeweled 
  • Enchanted
  • Stay Beautiful 
  • long story short
  • Afterglow 
  1. happiness→ because we have to accept there will be happiness even without you here 🙁

Sam has been a member of the Eagles Eye for two years now, with 20 amazing articles under her belt. She is the first to greet you in the morning, the first to raise the mood, and the first to offer assistance. Her piece de resistance, written over the course of these two years, is a series of creative writing pieces of self-exploration in the format of letters addressed to the reader, prompting them to look inward at themselves as well. Her words were deeply touching, resonating with all who read them. So we reciprocate, and offer a letter of our own.

Dear Sam,

I hope that it’s possible to live the way you laugh. 

Whether it’s a mindless joke I said at the art table after debriefing the previous newspaper class, or a musing of your own dreamy mind, I can only visualize you laughing. When someone says “Sam”, the image of your shoulders caving in and your mouth pulling into a grin is all that appears. Even in those rare moments of silence in Mr. Puckett’s class, there is a perpetual, imperceptible smile on your face. It’s as if you’re just happy to be here. And it may be simply that, or it may be a constant subconscious effort to bring joy to the space around you, but I appreciate it nonetheless. 

This isn’t to say that you aren’t taken seriously, Sam. That same mouth that brings the melody of laughter can ask a question so probing and reflective that it can stagnate anyone in thought. Your mind is a magical thing, and I hope that’s something you know. Sometimes I’m startled by the variety of ideas and creativity you bring to the table, and I’ve watched every time as you use your skill to execute those ideas without so much as a struggle. It’s as if when you speak of something, it must come into existence. The passion behind your words makes it so.

Last of all, but not the least, is your kindness. Everyone can see it the moment they meet you, like it radiates off of you. You’re always the first to reach out and the first to lend a hand, and it’s what I admire most about you. 

If everyone lived the way you laugh, life would be perfect.

Dear Sam, 

We wish you the best next year, when you’re off to SCAD. You are going to do great things with your life and skills. Please don’t forget us, and please come visit. You have had an impact on all of our lives and we are honored to have been a part of yours.