The Student News Site of Enloe Magnet High School

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Enloe Eagle's Eye

What is the PTSA?

Recently, Enloe’s Parent Teacher Student Association, the PTSA, has peppered the school with QR codes advertising the Annual Fund: the PTSA’s main source of funding. The PTSA’s goal for this year’s Annual Fund is $30,000, which is put directly back into Enloe through the PTSA’s many ventures. While the PTSA’s work might not always be in the spotlight, their unwavering commitment continually improves Enloe.

The PTSA is a nationwide organization present in almost every school in America. As an organization, their purpose is to “make every child’s potential a reality”, which is accomplished through the amazing volunteers that make up the PTSA. Enloe’s PTSA is comprised of parents, teachers, administrators, and students who are truly passionate about making Enloe a better place for all. As Susan Levy, the PTSA’s Vice President of Ways and Means puts it: “We connect everything, we connect everybody. We try to reach everyone that’s left out.”

More specifically, Enloe’s PTSA strives to actively work with all groups around Enloe: students, teachers, families, clubs, arts programs, sports, etc. Some of the events they’ve hosted in the past year are the homecoming tailgate, flight school, a school safety seminar, school grounds cleanup, parent chats, reflections, and much more! 

Students

The PTSA aims to reach each and every Enloe student, whether that’s through reflections, funding for clubs, classrooms, field trips, or hosting a wide variety of events.

Students are impacted by the PTSA before they even step foot on campus; the PTSA hosts numerous events for incoming students in the spring before their freshman year. Through these events, they hope to make the freshmen feel welcome before they even experience their first day at Enloe.

Throughout the school year, the PTSA hosts all sorts of events benefiting students. Just this year, they’ve hosted flight school, the homecoming tailgate, senior breakfast, and are planning much more. They are constantly seeking out new ways to reach every member of the Enloe population.

One of the PTSA’s coolest initiatives is voter pre-registration. “We’re trying to get all of you students pre-registered and registered to vote,” said Debra Sparks, a PTSA board member. “It’s very important that [students] go out into the world […] and know that you have a voice and a place in this world.”

Not only does the PTSA help students, but they also work with them. Students are allowed and encouraged to join the PTSA. Students are full members of the PTSA: they are invited to board meetings, are needed for votes, and their voice is crucial in making the committee successful. Students play such a big role in the PTSA, “Getting student input helps us to make sure the services we’re providing are what you guys want,” said Tamara Oyejide, Enloe PTSA’s Vice President.

Teachers

The PTSA strives to collaborate with all Enloe organizations and groups, one of the biggest, most important groups being teachers. They have lots to offer, including stipends to outfit classrooms, grants for various teacher needs (field trips, books, art materials, etc.), and providing snacks and meals. 

“When we have to stay late for meet the teacher night or open conferences,” said Mr. Fuss, a freshman civics teacher, “it’s nice to know you’re going to have food waiting for you.” For monthly faculty meetings, the PTSA provides seasonal snacks for teachers and administrators. For events like Meet the Teacher and open houses, the PTSA will provide full meals for teachers to enjoy.

The PTSA works to make sure that every teacher has what they need to make their classroom environment conducive to learning. They do this through grants that teachers can apply for, covering a wide variety of things: books, classroom supplies, art supplies, and much more. Oyejide said, “The PTSA indirectly impacts students through teacher grants, [and] we provide additional resources for the teachers… services, materials, books, and other learning tools that are used directly for the students.”

The PTSA also looks out for Enloe’s administrators and support staff, throughout the year they host appreciation events for substitutes, instructional assistants, custodians, bus drivers, and cafeteria staff. They work to make sure every single member of the Enloe community is seen and heard.

Parents & Families

The PTSA provides lots of resources for students’ families, keeping them informed and providing support throughout their student’s high school journey. They’re present from flight school all the way to graduation.

In the past month, the PTSA has hosted multiple parent chats, an open forum for parents to ask questions about Enloe, student workload, teacher support, and counselor support. They have helped all parents, whether it’s parents wading through their freshman students’ workload or parents trying to help their seniors apply for college.

Another tool that the PTSA uses to keep parents in the loop is Facebook groups. There are Facebook groups for each class, where an abundance of information is shared regarding all aspects of life at Enloe.

All in all, PTSA’s impact on Enloe is immeasurable. It’s filled with people who are passionate about making Enloe a better place and are constantly working towards that goal. If you are passionate about Enloe and want to work to make it better, the PTSA would be happy to have you as a member. If you’re interested in helping the PTSA accomplish all of its goals and touch as many people as they can, consider donating to their Annual Fund at the link below. 

Enloe PTSA Website

Donate to the Annual Fund

Join the PTSA