American Dream by 21 Savage – A Review

American Dream by 21 Savage - A Review

For the first time in over five years, we have a new 21 Savage solo album to discuss. Savage revved up the Slaughter Gang machine for the 15-track American Dream, the follow-up to 2018’s I Am > I Was. The album was complete with references to the Grammy winner’s prior ICE arrest and subsequent immigration battle. Savage’s new album features a dreamy lineup of features, including Brent Faiyaz, Summer Walker, Travis Scott, Young Thug, Lil Durk, and Mariah the Scientist.

American Dream – 10/10

Savage starts the album with a poetic interlude that sets the tone for the album. His mother spoke about the sacrifices she made so that her son could have better life opportunities, which led to him achieving the “American Dream.” This contrasts Savage’s ICE arrest in 2019 for being born in the U.K. but living in the U.S. illegally. 

Redrum -10/10 

Sampling Elza Laranjeira’s “Serenata Do Adeus,” Redrum stands out as one of the album’s best tracks. No wonder 21 chose the song as the first single out before the album. The song’s melodic tone at the beginning stands out behind 21 Savages bars. The track is also versatile, being used for not only vibing but also runway shows. 

All Of Me – 10/10

Savage, a rapper from a lower-class family, uses his honest lyrics to portray the struggles of hard times while sampling the 70s R&B group Rose Royce’s hit single “Wishing On a Star.” His lyrics emphasize loyalty, honesty, and the importance of perseverance amidst the harsh realities of life.

Letter to My Brudda – 9/10

A great conscious rap song, Savage displays so much growth in this song by elaborating on his rise from the streets of Atlanta to the shining lights and fame of LA. The spoken word interlude gives off a Kendrick Lamar-esque vibe. 

Dark Days (featuring Mariah The Scientist) – 9.5/10:

It’s a conscious rap song, which is a subgenre of hip hop that challenges the dominant cultural, social, political, sociopolitical, philosophical, and economic consensus and/or comments on or focuses on social issues and conflicts. This song shows Savage’s maturity and Mariah The Scientist’s extreme vocal talent.  Savage’s evolution as an artist has been the best outcome for rap in years, and this track is a classic in the making, just so good.

Just Like Me (featuring Burna Boy) – 9/10:

Love that Burna Boy is getting the attention he deserves, especially as a Nigerian artist. The song is great, but Savage pronounces the word “gif” like “jif,” which can bug some people slightly. It’s still a great song! 

Red Sky (featuring Tommy Newport & Mikky Ekko) – 9/10

When Savage starts rapping, it feels like you’re levitating. All the producers on this entire album had rent due! This is absolutely one of the best trap songs ever. It has an incredible chorus, wish this were twice as long, considering how hard-hitting it is. 

Should’ve Worn A Bonnet (featuring Brent Faiyaz) – 10/10

Anything featuring Brent Faiyaz is an automatic hit, and this song proves that. It is a chill song, with Faiyaz’s angelic voice contrasting Savage’s hard-hitting and sometimes comedic bars. 

Prove It (featuring Summer Walker) – 10/10

With Valentine’s Day around the corner, this song makes everyone wish they had a lover who spoke about them, as Savage and Walker speak about theirs in this song. Walker’s voice adds to the song’s romantic vibe. Love this lover-boy side of 21 Savage. 

n.h.i.e. (featuring Doja Cat) – 9/10

It has more of a pop genre vibe, which is different for Savage. Love Doja’s feature, especially when she is ad-libbing. She said the word “adlib”–was this a poke at artists constantly ad-libbing on music that sometimes overpowers the lyrics? Not sure. Either way, it makes you giggle. 

Pop Ur Sh*t (featuring Young Thug & Metro Boomin) – 8.5/10

Throughout this whole album, he mentions “poop” quite often. It is still a great song!

Dangerous (featuring Lil Durk) – 9/10

It’s a very good song, with slightly disturbing lyrics, especially when Savage mentions burning faces and cutting off toes. 

See The Real – 8/10

The beat gives off an R&B/pop song vibe. Still, the lyrics unveil the truth about his life, revealing harsh themes like violence, loyalty, money, loss, and relationships, creating an immersive listening experience and a testament to his growth and determination.

Sneaky – 7/10

This song shows off his raw style and vivid words. Savage brags about his jewelry and street cred in the lyrics, vividly depicting a life of wealth and power. The infectious energy of the repeat makes the track more fun to listen to. The edginess of the track makes it stand out for people who like raw stories and swagger that doesn’t hold back. 

Née-Nah – 9/10

Savage’s song, featuring Travis Scott’s verse, explores street life with solid lyrics and a hard-hitting beat. The song’s raw, unfiltered lines showcase his signature style, while the heavy beat adds a modern edge to the lyrics, reinforcing the Slaughter Gang character.

Overall Album Review – 9.5/10

My top three songs were “Prove It,” “Should’ve Worn a Bonnet,” and “Redrum.” This diverse record has album of the year potential, and 21 Savage deserves his flowers. What do you think about the album “American Dream” by 21 Savage?