The Student News Site of Enloe Magnet High School

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Hues of Hollywood: Black TV & Film

As February unfolds and we dive into the heart of Black History Month, it’s essential to spotlight the rich tapestry of contributions made by Black creators in television and film. This article invites you to explore the diverse and impactful narratives shaping the entertainment industry.

The power of representation cannot be overstated, and the world of television and film serves as a mirror reflecting the stories, struggles, and triumphs of various communities. Black creators have played a pivotal role in reshaping narratives and breaking barriers, paving the way for a more inclusive, authentic, and cinematic experience.

This month, let’s celebrate the achievements of Black directors, writers, actors, and producers who have left an indelible mark on the entertainment industry. Their stories are woven like threads into the fabric that is our collective cultural identity. And by recognizing their contributions, we take a step toward a more inclusive and enlightened society.

Let us also acknowledge the work that still needs to be done. The call for increased diversity both in front of and behind the camera continues to echo throughout the industry. We must contribute to a more vibrant and inclusive cinematic landscape by supporting and amplifying Black voices. So, grab some popcorn, gather your friends, and embark on a cinematic journey exploring Black Stories in Hollywood. Here are some movie and TV show recommendations from fellow Enloe students! 

Jeyan Hymans–A Medea Christmas: “This movie touched on the sensitive topics surrounding the Black community, such as interracial dating and hate groups. The plot follows a newly wedded interracial couple building the courage to tell their family. However, due to past trauma, the mother of the bride finds it difficult to accept her white son-in-law. Throughout the movie, we see her finally growing to accept the new additions to the family.” 

Ava Flood–Abbott Elementary: “A Black woman writes the show and shows representation in teachers while remaining humorous. This is one of my favorite shows to sit down and binge.”

Miana White–One-on-One: “I enjoyed that it was centered around a young Black girl [around] my age, and I liked that they had her living the successful lives they always gave white actresses on TV shows like that. She had hardships but wasn’t immensely struggling with all these terrible things. She attracted guys, was popular, [and] had talents. […] It’s just one of the reasons I gravitated towards it. Also, the dynamic between her and her dad felt fun but still realistic.” 

Aeiress Stancil–A Different World: “I love this show because it is the first to represent HBCUs, and [it] encourages me to attend an HBCU. This show also shows themes of racial injustice, building friendships, and romance. This show definitely makes me giggle, and I can rewatch it all the time with no shame.” 

Ashton Charles–Brotherly Love: “I love [this] movie because Keke Palmer is in it, and the twist at the end is shocking and unexpected.”

Nelson Stallworth–One Night in Miami: “I think it’s thought-provoking and inspiring. All the dialogue is also phenomenally well-written. Plus, it was directed by Regina King.” 

Perryn Jones–Insecure: “My favorite Black TV show is ‘Insecure’ produced by Issa Rae because of her portrayal of the awkward Black girl–a trope in movie and TV [that] I feel is very underrepresented in the industry; especially in a dynamic where they are the main love interest.” 

William Hall–Love & Hip Hop Atlanta: “I like ‘Love and Hip Hop’ because it [shows] African Americans the business side of music and [also shows] them networking with other people/artists. And also it takes this narrative away that all Black people are bad and don’t do anything but commit crimes.”

The Eagle’s Eye hopes you are now inspired to indulge in different forms of entertainment from Black creators. The entertainment business embraces diversity by embracing Black narratives and promoting diverse voices. By acknowledging and supporting these voices, the industry can create an environment where representation authentically reflects our diverse world. We can drive positive change by promoting these voices and embracing the complexities of Black narratives. The journey to equality in the entertainment business is ongoing, and by being active and supporting diverse content, consumers can help drive great change.