Dear Freshmen…

WARNING: Contains the harsh truth about underclassmen. Prepare yourself for the cold, hard facts.

Dear Freshmen...

Dear Freshman,

Upperclassmen do not hate you. We respect that you are new to this whole high school thing and need time to adjust to the daily grind and stress. However, it seems that some of you have gotten too cocky and not fully grasped the concept of what it means to be a freshman. You are the new kids on the block. While we are very willing to assist you in finding your way, please don’t try to speak on matters you know little about. Take note of the following issues:

1. College.

You are nowhere near understanding what it means to face your future and put your life on display for colleges to judge. And while you may think you absolutely must go to an Ivy League school to succeed in life, you are not to shame people for not following your naive ambition. College is not easy to apply to, not easy to get into, and not easy to prepare for, but you will learn all you need to know about that in the next four years. Stop informing upperclassmen that their choices are incorrect. We are all aware of how difficult it is and, unlike you, are actually having to live it instead of just talk about it. As a general rule, do not bring it up with your friendly neighborhood senior unless you are prepared for a demonic stare and exasperated sigh.

2. Hallway Speed and Etiquette

You really don’t need to run. Or push. Or yell. By now you know that all of these things, and more, go down during transition, but you really don’t have to be involved. Learning to relax is about the only thing that will soothe the stress of getting to class as early as you can. You have time, we promise. If you don’t make it, you don’t make it. Oh well, try again next class. I understand that you may think the world ends if you aren’t present the second that bell rings, but any consequence your teacher thinks up can be remedied. If you’re still finding a need to sprint down the hallways, enroll yourself in track, FK is always looking for talented underclassmen. If you continue in your disastrous hallway etiquette, you may just find yourself staring down a sleep deprived and pissed off senior who will no doubt have something to say. Watch yourself.

3. Shut. Up. 

This sounds harsh but allow me to explain. Every student at Enloe spends the majority of their day talking about school, extra-curriculars, or their ever-challenging personal lives. However, there are times when discussing your opinions on the latest couple is not necessary. Amidst a quiet room, not the time. During a peer presentation, not the time. Any time you attempt to be a smart a** fourteen year old kid, not the time. Being that person that’s constantly raising their hand to add only slightly funny comments isn’t cute. In general, limit your unnecessary jokes to yourself and among your friends. No need to share your sass all the time. However, funny comments intended to take your unsuspecting teacher off on a tangent are always appreciated. This routine of unneeded class comments that result in patient smiles and nods, or death stares depending on the class, has got to stop. While it isn’t just the freshman involved in this typical routine, it is the freshmen that take it too far. Check yourself before you wreck yourselves, freshmen.

Lastly, attitude is the biggest complaint among upperclassmen. We all remember what it felt like to finally be in high school, entering what is told to be the best time in your life. You will learn that for the most part, this is not true. I write this letter to be informative and for you to watch out for these qualities in yourself. Making older friends is key to preparing yourself for the years that lie ahead. You can’t very well do that when you send the upperclassmen running with your stressful squeal. Be aware of your surroundings and know your audience before speaking out. Sharing ideas is great but you must be respectful of other people’s learning environments and personal beliefs in the process. To summarize these issues and tokens of senior wisdom, sit down, shut up about what you don’t know, and make all the friends you can. These things are what has gotten the rest of us to the end of the tunnel and can certainly help you. 

Best of Luck,

Class of 2020 

(The REAL greatest class)