Guilty: Sultry in the Best Way

Guilty: Sultry in the Best Way

On October 30, 2023, Taemin had his first release since 2021. The EP, Guilty, has six songs and a run time of 18 minutes, 57 seconds. Playing around with the pop genre, Taemin’s soft vocals and gritty concepts set his album apart from other releases. No matter the song, his voice never disappoints, adding meaning to every song he does. Here’s a short but full review of the album. 

• Guilty: 5/5

Not only is “Guilty” the first song of the album, it is one of my all-time favorites. Slow, sultry, and seductive, the song has a catchy chorus that gets stuck in your head. Telling a story of romance and manipulation, the song paints a picture of love—the bad kind—and is a total earworm in the best way possible. 

• The Rizzness: 5/5

Okay, the song title is crazy, but the song slaps. Starting with barely any backtrack, the beat drops suddenly with a sound that does not fit the title. “The Rizzness” is one of those songs that sounds like it should be bad or just plain weird but surprises you by being amazing. Ignoring the rizz part, that is. 

• She Loves Me, She Loves Me Not: 4.5/5

Continuing with the dark vibe of the previous two songs, “She Loves Me, She Loves Me Not” is almost as catchy. The musical is simplistic but effective, becoming very strong during the chorus. It makes good background music for studying, though it is a little repetitive if that isn’t what you’re looking for. 

• Not Over You: 3.5/5

The song has a slow start, and the music itself isn’t as strong as other songs on the album. Personally, I’m someone who likes more fast-paced music, so this song isn’t for me. Like the previous song though, it makes good background music. As always, the vocals are beautiful and easy to vibe with. 

• Night Away: 3/5

“Night Away” gives me cafe music vibes, in a good way. Soft and on the slower side, the gentle sound makes it great for a car ride or studying. Like “Not Over You”, the musical aspect is simpler and a little weaker, but it goes well with the overall vibe of the song. 

• Blue: 4/5

“Blue” has the same slower sound as the previous two songs but the musical aspect is much stronger. The soft vocals contrast with the guitar and create a nice upbeat feeling. “Blue” feels like it would be good in the opening sequence of a romance movie.

“Guilty” is short but a strong album overall. There’s a nice mix of music here, with the first half of the album having a grittier, darker, tone, and the second half having a much slower, lighter, and softer feel to it. I wish the release was longer than just six songs, but each is good in its own right. The variety between the first and second half of the EP helps to make each song its own. This album is a great addition to any playlist.