Senior Spotlight: Marquis Fenton

Senior Spotlight: Marquis Fenton

“Keep walking.” This simple motto has shaped Marquis “Quis” Fenton’s life and is apparent in his success on and off the football field. When asked what this simple phrase means to him, Quis said, “Whatever happens in life, keep walking. Don’t take any steps backward.” 

For those who don’t know who Quis is, think back to Homecoming. On just the second play of the game, number three, Quis, broke away from the Broughton defense and stormed down the field, en route to an 80-yard touchdown. Touchdowns like these were present in almost every game Quis played in this season, these touchdowns are a testament to Quis’ hard work and commitment.

Quis’ football journey started at a young age. Around the age of 3, while watching a Giants game with his pops, he witnessed the Giants run the ball play after play. Quis looked up at his Dad and told him he wanted to play football, more specifically, he wanted to run the ball and score touchdowns. 

Sadly, Quis betrayed his dad, a diehard Giants fan, and became a Cowboys fan. Every September, Quis can be heard telling anyone who will listen, “It’s our year.” But, every January Quis can be found sulking, trying to convince anyone who will listen that the Cowboys got cheated by the refs, the League, or maybe even a Higher Power.  

In the past few years, Enloe football has gone through a rough spot, recording only one win in the past few seasons. Through it all, Quis has stuck it out, he just “keeps walking.” From the outside, it looked like the football team wasn’t improving, they were completely defeated…twice. What outsiders couldn’t see were the everyday steps that the team was taking towards success. They used each practice, game, and season as a stepping stone towards success, more importantly, they were building a winning culture. 

This season, all the hard work they put in finally paid off, culminating in Enloe’s best football season since 2019. En route to this historic season, Quis logged 10 touchdowns and almost 1,000 all-purpose yards. But as Quis puts it, “There are a lot of parts within the team that factor into winning… everyone on the team matters.”  

Last year, Quis played basketball for Enloe, he decided to play as a way to stay in shape for football, but it turned into much more. Quis was a force to be reckoned on defense, he brought his football physicality to the court. His favorite memory from his tenure on the team came from an overtime win at Athens Drive. With 9.3 seconds left in the fourth quarter, the game was tied 61-61, Quis is sent in to do what he does best, get a stop. Thanks to Quis’ stop, the game went to overtime and Enloe clinched a pivotal conference win. 

His time on the basketball team gave him insight into what a winning program looks like; he had a courtside seat to the dedication, grit, and toughness that is present on the basketball team. His new goal: bring this “winning culture” to the football team. 

When asked about the legacy he wants to leave on Enloe, Quis had an answer that highlights the type of person he is: “Football-wise, if you went and watched an Enloe football game, you’d have to remember who number three was. School-wise, I just want to be remembered as a funny guy, someone you can just come talk to whenever you need to.”

Quis’s outgoing personality, work ethic, and dedication in whatever he does will take him far. Next year, Quis plans to play college football and major in physical education; We know that he will do great wherever he lands!

View Comments (1)
Malone Bridgers
Malone Bridgers, Staff Writer
(He/him) Malone is a junior and is ecstatic for his first year on the Eagle's Eye. He is also involved in Enloe's student council, basketball program, and Eagle Club. Malone loves to hang out with his friends and family. Most of the time, you will hear Malone before you see him, he can be heard at almost every Enloe sporting event, screaming from the sidelines!