The Student News Site of Enloe Magnet High School

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Akshay Balasubramanian, an Eagle to Remember

Akshay Balasubramanian: An Eagle to Remember.

Have you heard about Akshay Balasubramanian? He is a true leader throughout Enloe making a difference throughout the school and his community. His academic achievements and involvement in extracurricular activities, such as soccer, a trumpet player for the Jazz Band, National Honors Society, student council, and the TRI-M Music Honor Society, are a testament to his dedication and hard work. 

“Student council was something I didn’t see myself doing until my junior year because it was something I never thought of. But I saw it as a way to give back to the community and offer a tangible impact.” He also says he was inspired to join TRI-M because “[he] had a passion for music, wanting to connect with other people, and use [his] musical ability to give back to the community.”

As the soccer team co-captain, Akshay has received multiple awards for his on-field performance. His awards include the All-Region All-Conference, Enloe Defensive Player of the Year, and Enloe Soaring Eagle, which makes him a champion on and off the field. 

“This past season, we beat Cardinal Gibbons for the first time, which hasn’t happened for a couple of years. It was a crazy moment. We were all very pleased. Yeah, it was one of my favorite soccer moments for sure.”

Akshay is an incredible student; however, you must get to know him to understand the full extent of his exuberant, charismatic energy. During the interview, I uncovered some interesting facts about Akshay. Here is just a tiny glimpse into what it’s like to have a conversation with him:    

• What would you take if you were sent to an island and could only bring five things?

“You can’t go wrong with a good book. Also my headphones, dog, and sisters. I’ll take as much family as I can. And a soccer ball or trumpet? Something to keep me occupied.”

• What is your favorite song?

“I listen to a lot of stuff. So, if you’re talking about rap hip-hop, I’d pick J. Cole. J. Cole and Travis Scott. And then, if you’re talking about non-rap, Mt. Joy. My Favorite J.Cole song is January 28 because my birthday is January 27. It’s kind of stupid. I like trying to imagine he’s trying to talk to me.”

• You have the day off. What are you doing? 

“I’m going on walks outside with my dog. If my family is home, I spend time with family. If not, I like going to the field with my friends and playing Spikeball. Trying new fast food places, taking naps, and probably just watching a couple of YouTube videos.”

• What’s one thing you’re going to miss about Enloe? And What’s one thing you’re going to take away?

“It gave me a challenge not only academically but socially as well. I was experiencing as many different hobbies, cultures, and people as much as possible. I want to take that into my future to carry it into things like traveling.”

• What’s your senior quote?

“‘It is what it is till it ain’t’ [by Mac Miller]. When I first saw it, I was like, what does this even mean? But I searched it up a little bit and realized it was about not trying to live your life passively. It is what it is; is like an excuse to let things go. You have power. You have control. You obviously don’t have control over a lot of things, but you can tailor your life to what you want to do.”

Akshay is a true Eagle to remember, impacting the people he meets, no matter where he goes. It was a pleasure talking with Akshay, and no matter what he decides to do in the future, I know that he will excel tremendously. What a G.O.A.T. I’ll leave you with this quote from Akshay.

“Don’t hold back. Try to give as much effort as you can. Because the opportunities when you’re young are not, like when you grow older, and if you’re not passionate about anything, try to experience as much as you can to find the passion. It’s okay if things don’t work out. It’s part of the process.”