Senior Spotlight: Gift Moses

Senior Spotlight: Gift Moses

Gift Moses is exactly what a “student-athlete” is meant to be. He’s hardworking, dedicated, and strong- both physically and mentally. He’s an AP student, and passionate about his sport, yet he finds time to do it all. Outside of school, you might catch him reading or making robots. However, this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Gift Moses. He’s a friendly, easy going guy, but he’s got big plans. 

Sports

Gift Moses loves basketball. He started playing basketball in sixth grade, so it’s not a surprise that he has been a part of Enloe’s Varsity basketball team since freshman year. Being a part of the team can be very time consuming, especially with homework to do after practice. However, Gift says, “No matter how tired you are, just stay disciplined and get your work done.” That’s just the kind of person he was raised to be, and it helps that the team supports him too. Games can end as late as 10 p.m. some nights, so the team will talk and share snacks before the game. Off the court, they’re unserious and goofy, but they’re locked in when they need to be. 

Sports fans have normalized a culture of intense, unwavering support for their favorite teams. They often get riled up over which team is the best, but it’s all in good fun. “I’m the odd one out here. Everybody else seems to have a team that they’ll stick to no matter what, but I’m still finding a team that I really like,” he says. At the moment, he likes the Golden State Warriors, but that’s subject to change.  

Despite his dedication to basketball, he also has a passion for soccer. “I love soccer, [it’s] the best. Soccer is […] tied with basketball as my favorite sport,” says Gift. You can spot him at virtually any Enloe men’s soccer game cheering for our team. He’s proud of the team’s good work this year and he hopes for the best for next year’s squad. 

Hobbies

Gift’s interest in robotics may come as a surprise because of his position on the Varsity basketball team, but it’s not atypical for eagle scholars. The name of the class was what drew him in, and he ended up thoroughly enjoying the class and material of the course. He encourages others to try out new things as well! 

Another one of his favorite pastimes is reading. Gift is an avid reader who always has his nose in a book. His favorite genres to read are history and historical fiction. His love of books stems from childhood. Growing up, he read books from the “I Survived” series. These books are about resilience and strength in young people in the face of adversity. Each book chronicles the tale of a kid who went through a different historical event and came out the other end to share the story. 

Family

Gift’s family has played a huge role in shaping who he is today. His parents are Nigerian immigrants who have instilled Nigerian culture in Gift and his three siblings. He relates to other second generation immigrants in that he can understand Igbo, which both of his parents speak, but he can’t speak it himself. For him, being part of an immigrant family means being more aware of the consequences of his actions. “I’m more cautious of getting in trouble, and the decisions I make because of it,” Gift says. “Be careful who’s watching you.” He’s grateful for the life that his parents have built for him here, and he wants to take advantage of it. “Your parents sacrificed [a lot], so you can’t squander it,” Gift says. 

Some of his favorite foods are from Nigeria. His favorite food is jollof rice, which is a spicy, tomato-y, fragrant dish similar to Mexican arroz rojo. He also enjoys meat pies and fried sweet plantains. As for candy, he enjoys Skittles (except for the purple ones), Kit Kats, and Reese’s peanut butter cups. 

For the Future

After high school, he plans to become a pre-med student. He grew up in a family of doctors; many of his aunts and uncles are surgeons, and that has inspired him to follow in their footsteps. He’s taken an interest in orthopedic surgery, so that’s the path he wants to take going forward. As for basketball, he doesn’t plan to play for his school, but if the right offer came along he would consider it. When asked about how he does it all, Gift said, “You just have to stay disciplined.” The Eagle’s Eye wishes him the best of luck.