Senior Spotlight: Alex Dick

Senior Spotlight: Alex Dick

When you think of a leader, what comes to mind? Someone who cares about others, is passionate, and can bring people together; guiding them toward a common goal. If you were to ask who embodies the role of a leader in the class of 2024, teachers and students alike would probably tell you, Alexander Dick. 

His friends describe him as funny, extremely knowledgeable about old films, and genuine. Ms. Covington says that Alex Dick is one of the best students she’s had in her ten years of teaching IB Film. “He always participates and has an opinion. It drives the class,” she says.

It isn’t just in IB Film that Alex excels and gives his all. He is the senior class president and has been a part of Enloe Student Council for all four years of high school. “Freshman year I was technically on it, but that year anyone who was interested could join. Sophomore year I was elected [as] advisor. Junior year, [elected as] class vice president, and senior year, [as] class president.” explains Alex.

Regarding what he does on the Student Council, Alex has been focusing on planning senior events. “I’m most proud of being on the Senior Council and organizing these events because that’s the biggest direct contribution I’ve made to the Enloe class of 2024. This is our last chance to have these interactions in high school. I’m most proud of organizing these events because I think it’s important to enjoy this community as much as we can,” he says. Senior  Council has added more events for the seniors this year, including two extra movie nights, and a senior sunset in addition to the October game night and picnic that they had before” which Alex hopes to hold towards the end of the year for the graduating class. He points out that it isn’t just Senior Council that makes these events possible and wants to thank Mr. Staton and the PTSA for all of their contributions to senior events. 

Student Council isn’t the only thing that Alex is passionate about. He makes it a goal to be involved in all of his classes, because of “the diversity and community that develops in classes where we all have different interpretations and opinions that we all bring together.” His favorite classes are IB Film and Eagle Productions. He loves IB Film because of both the class and Ms. Covington. “IB Film has been very enjoyable because we watch, cover, and make films, we get to critique and [examine] themes. Ms. Covington has been a defining feature in my senior year. She’s my [IB] extended essay advisor, and I have her for IB Film and English.” says Alex. His appreciation for filmmaking carries over into Eagle Productions, where Alex enjoys creating films for the class and the ‘Loe Down. “I like the level of freedom in that class. I don’t get the same experience this year because I can only take it one day instead of everyday. I do miss having that extra class period, but it’s still fun,” he says.

Alex gives his all in whatever he does; in class, on Student Council, and outside of school. He is part of Triangle Rowing Club and says the experience has been great for his mental health. “I’m a part of the Triangle Rowing Club, which has been a major defining factor of my high school experience. Freshman year I didn’t enjoy it that much, but progressively, I’ve gotten more involved. It’s good for my mental health, and it is very challenging, but gives perspective for academic stuff like IB. I don’t let school take over my life,” he says.

It can be a lot to handle with all these activities, but Alex has advice for his younger self and other students alike. “Just hold on and create those good habits from the beginning,” he says. “Good organization, time management, that’s all you can do. Being in IB [both] junior and senior [years] has been the most challenging and there isn’t much else you can do besides develop those skills.” He adds, “Really, just enjoy your classes and be active. When you participate more, you enjoy the class more, and when you enjoy them more it makes the day better. You don’t feel like you’re trudging through each day.”

After high school, Alex hopes to continue studying film and history. He is also interested in learning about linguistics and urban planning. He is looking at UNC among other schools, and is waiting for more responses before making his final choice.

Alex Dick is a leader through and through and a great example of how you can excel when you put your best foot forward. Being a leader isn’t easy, but he does it well and greets everyone with kindness, and every challenge with determination. To quote Alex, “the main thing about being a leader is trying to share your enthusiasm. That’s what can get people motivated more than anything else.”