How to Celebrate Women’s History Month

How to Celebrate Womens History Month

March is Women’s History Month- 31 days dedicated to understanding and supporting women’s experiences. As March progresses, it can be hard to pin down ways to support women. In light of this issue, we’ve compiled a list of 4 things you can do today to celebrate Women’s History Month!

Go to a Butterfly Effect Meeting

The Butterfly Effect is the resident women’s empowerment club at Enloe. A typical meeting starts off with everyone sharing a high and a low from the week, followed by a group discussion on the meeting’s assigned topic. Topics of discussion range from motherhood to period stigma. It’s a great opportunity to connect with the women of Enloe’s community. At the Butterfly Effect, members are not only encouraged to share and relate to other’s experiences but also to listen and learn about the many ways that women are affected by their identity. It’s a perfect way to broaden your perspective and be educated on the female experience this Women’s History Month. Meetings are held in room 2205, and the dates for upcoming meetings can be found on their Instagram, @enloetbe. Anyone who has ever identified with the female experience is encouraged to come.

Donate to the Butterfly Effect’s Hygiene Drive

If you’re not interested or not eligible to come to meetings, another Butterfly Effect-centric way to support women at Enloe is donating to their hygiene drive. Every year, The Butterfly Effect hosts a hygiene drive to support a local charity. This year the beneficiary is the Diaper Bank. The club will be collecting menstrual products and diapers in unopened boxes. Even better, if you’re a member of NHS or Key Club two boxes can be counted as one hour of service. Donations can be dropped off before or after school in Mrs. Turner’s room. March 1st-March 31st. Kill two birds with one stone by donating to support an Enloe charity effort and earn your service hours. 

Enloe’s Gender Inclusivity in STEM Club 

Enloe’s Gender Inclusivity in STEM club, or GIS, is a volunteering organization that teaches STEM to girls in an effort to bridge the gender gap. The student-run club is a great way to make lasting impacts on young girls in the area. Every Wednesday the club travels to Washington Elementary to teach science to girls. If you are interested in connecting with students through experiments and teaching then check out their Instagram @enloegis to learn more. 

Volunteering outside of Enloe

If you find yourself restless within Enloe, then volunteering outside of school is a great way to support women this March! Opportunities are countless just in the Raleigh area, including: 

• Caroll’s Kitchen- Carroll’s Kitchen is a local non-profit organization dedicated to helping women in crisis by providing a safe work environment in their kitchens. You can stop by 19 East Martin Street to support this wonderful non-profit. The volunteering itself consists of helping out in the kitchen and providing a positive presence in the space. Click the link here to fill out a form and volunteer today.  
  • Raleigh Women’s Center- The Raleigh Women’s Center is a day shelter for Wake County single women dealing with homelessness. Women in this shelter usually have experienced severe trauma and mental health issues, and are at the center for aid through “clinical and holistic approaches”. With the help of volunteers and donations the Women’s Center is able to provide healthcare, counseling, food, and necessities to women in need. There are multiple ways to help out at the Women’s Center, donations of items, financial aid, and volunteering are greatly appreciated. Visit their website here to learn more about how you can support the Women’s Center.
  • Women’s Veteran Support Services- The WVSS is a specialized support service for female veterans to deal with their unique struggles after service. Their mission as described on their website here is to “provide a beacon of hope to women veterans in crisis,” especially those needing emergency shelter and basic needs like food and clothing. WVSS’s main dedication is to aiding Veterans in receiving their benefits and connecting them to communities of fellow veterans and people looking to help. Visit their website to learn more about what to donate and how to volunteer.

There are myriads of amazing opportunities to celebrate women, and the importance of volunteering, donation, and education should not be understated. So this Women’s History Month, get out and make a difference!