The Student News Site of Enloe Magnet High School

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Kel n El: Behind The Scenes of Les Misérables

Known as one of the best musicals of all time, Les Misérables is a feat of a show and a beautiful way to close out Ms. Thornton’s 24 years of directing shows at Enloe. With a cast and crew of over 70 people, the production is one of Enloe Theatre’s biggest in its history. However, this show has something special, which arrived months ago in three small packages. 

Ice Hall, Cate Revels, and Aurelia Wenger are all elementary schoolers who auditioned for Enloe’s production back in December. They sent in videos of them singing the iconic roles of Gavroche and Young Cosette alongside 40 other children. Since their audition, the three kids have become the highlight of the cast and crew’s experience in Les Mis, with their presence only strengthening the close-knit community. 

Walking into a rehearsal with towering high schoolers as a four-foot-tall eight-year-old can be daunting. “The first time I came here,” says Hall, “I was really shy, and […] when I did the ‘listen, listen everybody’ [referring to one of her lines] I was like, really quiet, but now I’m like, actually like, fine.” Ice’s growing comfort in the rehearsal space comes out in her performance as Gavroche, a spunky little boy who makes his own way on the battlefield. Ice’s confidence and dedication to her craft is great beyond her years. In describing her experience, she says “Well, I just love being Gavroche because that’s one of my dream roles.” 

Revels and Wenger, who take turns playing Little Cosette and Little Éponine, have become fast friends during this process, showing up to rehearsals with matching best friend necklaces. As they both play two roles, they have had to master two completely different characters, and have done so with ease. “I like [playing] Cosette because I have a solo,” says Revels, “And I like [playing] Éponine because I get to act brattish.” The solo Revels refers to is the iconic “Castle on a Cloud,” a melodic refrain that kickstarts the audience’s love for Cosette. “I like [playing] Cosette because I really like singing slower kind of stuff,” Wenger adds about the number. “And I like Éponine because I like how they treat me like I’m crazy.” 

When asked if they had any advice for other young actors their age, the trio agreed  “They should not be scared and just try their best.” Hall added another great piece of advice, “Just try before you say no.” While these three truly steal the show, their attitudes are even more inspiring. Wise beyond their years, we can definitely all learn from their advice. 

While standing at 6 feet instead of 4, Noah Medlin also brings in a younger perspective than Enloe theatre typically sees in leads. “As a freshman,” Medlin says, “I don’t think there is a better place to be than Enloe for theatre. I don’t know many places where directors would have given me an opportunity like this one so I feel very lucky to be where I am.” This freshman’s portrayal of Javert, a character second only to Jean Val Jean, will leave your mouth agape. His vocal talent is reason alone to see the show, and the ease with which he acts out Javert’s complex ideals is awe-inspiring. “I like to embody Javert as not a villain, but [as] a man with an unwavering belief in justice who wants to bring order to the world around him.” Medlin’s maturity in his character work for Javert, a difficult character for adult actors, is a testament to the talent of Enloe students.

The show runs from April 11-13, with shows at 7 pm every night and a matinee on Saturday at 1 pm. Why should you come and watch? Because as Ice Hall says best, “it teaches you a lesson, to learn from your mistakes.” Perhaps Aurelia Wenger’s argument is more convincing. “Because you can laugh at Conor [Kruger],” she giggled. When not onstage, you can find the kids scurrying off to places for the top of the show, probably giving a couple of cast members the cheese touch along the way. 

On the topic of Conor Kruger, this Enloe senior has taken on his leading role of Jean Val Jean with a talent that will blow audiences away. The importance of his performance is clear to him. “Miss Thornton has wanted to do [Les Mis] for the last 20 years.” Kruger says. “Freshman year when we asked her if we could do it, [she said that] she would never do it while she was at Enloe. The fact that she changed her mind and put the amount of trust that she [has] put in us is very gratifying and it makes it a much more special experience.” Kruger’s understanding of the trust that Thornton has placed in Enloe students is acknowledged by the entire cast, who put their all into all 2 hours and 53 minutes of heart-wrenching scenes and elaborate scenic changes. If you still aren’t planning on attending, Kruger has words for you. “If ever in your life, you are going to watch a musical…this is the one to watch.”