Senior Spotlight: Nora Gillett

Senior Spotlight: Nora Gillett

Nora Gillett is an artist in every sense of the word. She treats the world around her with reverence and care: as a friend, mentor, and, chiefly, Graphics Co-Editor of the Eagle’s Eye. It’s hard not to find beauty while in Nora’s presence. In short, knowing Nora is knowing joy.

To even the most recent of acquaintances, Nora is a beacon of kindness. To those who have the privilege of knowing her longer, that kindness takes on a different color: true, unwavering friendship. Her dedication to those she loves is a powerful force, driving her to great lengths, like spending three months embroidering a shirt for her girlfriend’s birthday. As one-half of what certain parties might call the only good lesbian couple at Enloe High School, Nora is known by her peers as very gay. 

“She’s… very gay,” says Kanah Boykin, a longtime friend of Nora’s.

When asked about how they met, Kanah said “We clicked right away, and we just knew we were going to be besties.” That’s the kind of magic that Nora possesses- an intrinsic ability to put someone at ease and make them feel that instantaneous spark. 

Though Nora’s presence feels like home to many, her home will look a little different these next few years. This fall, she will attend the University College Dublin to study architecture. A bold choice to be sure, as Ireland may not have been what everyone expected for Nora. But for those who know her well, nothing could be more in line with Nora’s personality.

“She just has an Irish nature about her,” says Stella Knott.

Nora’s Irish adventures are sure to be a success, largely because of her ability to fit in wherever she goes. As someone Jonah Yinger would consider the perfect road trip and hiking partner, Nora has all the skills she could need for her next four-year voyage.

“I hope she comes back knowing the best Irish tunes, with an accent that resembles something that you would hear in Derry Girls,” says Abby Ryan, who requested to be referred to as Nora’s Girlfriend henceforth. Though Nora may be an ocean away next year, that distance pales in comparison to the strength of our love for her. 

“I am already saving large sums of money to frolic in the fields of Ireland together,” says Liona Stebbins, widely regarded as Nora’s number three fan, after us, of course.

No matter where she goes, it’s clear that Nora has left an indelible mark on Enloe High School – both figuratively and literally. As a National Art Honors Society member, Nora’s work can often be found adorning the walls of classrooms and hallways.

Any Nora Gillett piece is instantly recognizable by her masterful command of emotion through color and composition, which as Jonah Yinger, Kanah Boykin, and Stella Knott say, could only be described as “artsy fartsy.” The intention that pours into her work is almost tangible, making even the most passive viewer stop and look closer at the details. Often featuring her sister or friends as subjects, Nora’s artwork reflects what she holds dearest. Her blend of surreal elements and haunting vulnerability is truly a window into her soul that we are lucky enough to see through.

Nora approaches her art like she does everything else: with dedication, respect, and open-mindedness. It is precisely these traits that make her the perfect IB Scholar. “She’s an excellent student, but she’s also just a really good person,” says Ruth Rick, fellow IB student. “She cares about other people and the world around her, not just her grades or her own success. I know she’s going to go on to do really incredible things because she’s in it for the right reasons.”

Though Nora has many commendable accomplishments here at Enloe, what we best know her for is her work as the Eagle’s Eye’s Graphics Co-Editor. It’s an all-too-common occurrence to walk into room 1813 in the East Building and hear cries of “Save me, Nora! Can you fix my graphic?” Yes, she always can. Without her expert insight, our paper would look very different. Latest reports show that Nora’s guidance is responsible for nearly 70 percent of all Eagle’s Eye media attention. 

Nora is refreshingly creative: every outfit is a welcome surprise, every graphic is inspiring, and every conversation is a treat. While we will miss her contributions to the Eagle’s Eye, we are excited to see where she goes next, and confident that wherever she is, she will make her mark as an artist, road trip companion, and friend to all.