Senior Spotlight: Luka Ison

Senior Spotlight: Luka Ison

In the heart of Enloe’s Jazz Band, the soulful melodies of the saxophone find their muse in the talented hands of Luka Ison. Luka is a seasoned performer with four years of experience in Enloe’s Jazz Band under his belt. 

Saxophone Sorcery 

Ison’s journey with the jazz band began with a whisper and crescendoed into a resounding voice. His ability to weave intricate solos and infuse emotion into every note has elevated the group to new heights, making the saxophone an instrument of magic in his hands. His inspiration for picking up the instrument–his older sister Mya Ison; who he deems a “creative icon.” After watching her play in middle school, he decided to follow in her footsteps and begin playing in eighth grade. 

As an artist, Luka embraces the diversity of jazz, effortlessly transitioning between styles and embracing the cultural significance of the genre. “I think jazz is a beautiful thing,” Luka says. “It represents my culture as a Croatian and Caribbean, but it also encapsulates American culture [as well.]” His willingness to experiment and push boundaries added a dynamic layer of the band’s repertoire, showcasing the saxophone as a versatile style of expression.

After enduring nine-hour bus rides to competitions, daily classes, and community performances, building strong connections within the band seems inevitable. But for Luka, his favorite aspect is working in harmony with people who share a similar passion. “I love everybody in the class, they’re so willing to learn and all about the music. It’s a beautiful space and I think we should encourage more spaces like this,” says Luka. 

Anyone who knows Luka would attest to his contagious laugh, positive attitude, and creative spirit. Celine Ganyo, a senior and friend of Luka, describes him with “three S’s: sassy, stylish, and smart.” The soundtrack to any road trip or lunch outing with Luka will always consist of jazz. Whether it’s the soulful notes of Coltrane or the rhythmic grooves of funk, his car becomes a rolling stage where the music blends seamlessly with the rhythm of the road. “I’ll be like… ‘can you skip this song?’ and he just turns it up even more. Even though I’m annoyed, it shows how unapologetic he is about his passions,” said Celine. 

Future Harmonies

As Luka embarks on the next chapter, the echoes of his harmonies will undoubtedly linger in the hearts of those who had the privilege of sharing the stage or sharing memories with him. The curtains may be closing on his high school career, however, he will continue to study music in college. Wherever he goes in the future, there’s no doubt that music and laughter will follow.