Winter Guard: Road to the Championships

Winter Guard: Road to the Championships

To cap off a season on the rise, Enloe winter guard traveled to Crown Coliseum in Fayetteville on March 23rd for the Atlantic Indoor Association championships. The team faced off against other high schools in an exhilarating routine featuring dance, sabers, wooden rifles, and flags proving their technical and creative prowess. Taking home first place, the winter guard team proved they were more than ready for the challenge. Within the last month, they placed third in both the Willow Springs and Apex competitions and first place at the Green Level competition. “We achieved our highest score since 2018. It is so exciting,” team captain Rebecca Veloz said. The team achieved the highest score in Enloe history, an 88.13 after winning first place at the AIA Championships competition. Even after hearing about this incredible team, we were left wondering: what really is winter guard?

Even as a sport growing in popularity, winter guard tends to fly under the radar. Veloz sums up the role of the team: “We are the pretty part of the band. We throw flags, rifles, and sabers. We also implement a lot of dance as well.” Each year a particular routine is choreographed using props and sets to create an enchanting performance. This year the winter guard’s routine is titled Glory of the Snow. Emma Fasone, the current manager of the winter guard, exclaimed “I think the show this year has a great concept!” The theme features icy costumes tied in with an incredibly coordinated routine. The key feature of any winter guard performance is the technique used to throw and dance with the flags, rifles, and sabers. This year their skill is emphasized by using ice colored flags, fitting the winter wonderland theme.  

The winter guard’s consistent improvement has put them in the spotlight of Enloe sports. From humble beginnings, Veloz has seen the team grow: “When I first joined, I think there were maybe 11 of us, and now we have 17, so it was quite a bit of a jump. We’re now considered a bigger guard, which is something that I never thought would happen.” She encourages anyone to come to “Try it Out” days, workshops for prospective members to experience what the guard is like and what happens before both winter and fall guard seasons. Veloz even admits that she couldn’t even throw a flag the first time she tried. “Our instructors have more than ten years of experience. Try not to be afraid and you will be totally fine.” Fasone recommends winter guard for everyone: “For people who like to dance and want to be involved in the school or with the band, [winter guard] is such a great opportunity.” The captain and team made sure to emphasize that tryouts are open to anyone interested. All are welcome. 

Even with recent achievements and growing popularity, the team underscores the community that comes with winter guard. “I’ve gotten lifetime friendships from it. It’s such a great community…I really just love the funny little practices that we’ll have, especially if we’re out in the heat and it’s not something that everyone’s enjoying,” says Fasone. “I think having those little fun little jokes and little moments of laughter [makes it better].” The small moments are what makes the team so close, continues Veloz: “I love all those memories, where we’re jamming out to music and doing our makeup and hair.” Through the ups and downs of their past seasons, the guard has stayed close. Winter guard is a truly tight-knit community that has utilized a unique connection to guide their team to success. 

This season was monumental for the winter guard. Just by watching them throw flags after school in the atrium, I was inspired by the winter guard’s energy and excitement toward their craft. The team was determined to aim high and gave it their all at the AIA Championship, delivering with an exceptional performance!