Holiday Hopping: The Triangle and Beyond

The holiday season is filled with plenty of gatherings and events. Whether that be trips, family gatherings, or festive excursions, there are never too many ways to get in the holiday spirit. Luckily, our part of North Carolina has plenty of options for families, individuals, couples, or friends to get out and experience festive activities for a limited time. From lights to lanterns to… baseball fields? Here are eight of the top holiday festivities for people that live in the Triangle.

Light the Knights Festival & Charlotte Christmas Village 

Truist Field | Charlotte, NC

November 24 – January 1 

Returning for the fourth year is the truly memorable Light the Knights Festival in Charlotte. Hosted on the green of Truist Field, this event knocks it out of the park every year, providing endless fun for all ages. Become immersed in tens of thousands of lights as you ice skate, snow tube, or chow down on holiday treats. Make sure to shop around the holiday market filled with goods from diverse, locally owned businesses. You can enjoy this festival of wintery filled fun from now through Jan. 1. Most of the activities within the event begin after 12 p.m., so this is the perfect place to be when you are in need of a wonderful way to end your beautiful winter day! 

For more information, visit https://www.milb.com/charlotte-knights/ballpark/christmas.

Wool-E’s Winter Wonderland 

Durham Bulls Athletic Park | Durham, NC

November 22 – December 31

Even though WRAL’s popular Night of Lights had its swan song during the 2022-23 season, the local news station is transitioning to promoting a new holiday event, Wool-E’s Winter Wonderland. Taking place inside the Durham Bulls baseball stadium in downtown Durham, Wool-E’s Winter Wonderland includes attractions such as an inner tube slide, obstacle courses, and private ‘igloos’ that are available to rent for 45 minute sessions. Although there are not nearly as many lights as the Night of Lights, this is a great option for families who want an evening of festivities and an opportunity to get onto the Durham Bulls field.

For more information, visit https://www.woolebull.com/.

Chinese Lantern Festival 

Koka Booth Amphitheater | Cary, NC

November 17 – January 14

Returning to Cary for the eighth year, the Chinese Lantern Festival is one of the most popular holiday attractions in the NC Piedmont area. The exhibit began on Nov. 17 and runs all the way through Jan. 14, 2024. The Koka Booth Amphitheater property houses the magnificent display, featuring lanterns spread throughout the property, including on a small lake adjacent to the main path. This year brings several new interactive lanterns that are sure to be a hit for all who visit. The 2024 zodiac sign will be the dragon, hence the festival’s showstopper being a 200 foot long dragon lantern. In addition to the self paced stroll through the grounds, visitors can also enjoy nightly stage performances, showcasing Chinese culture.

For more information, visit https://www.boothamphitheatre.com/events-tickets/events/chinese-lantern-festival.

Carolina Ballet’s The Nutcracker 

Martin Marietta Center | Raleigh, NC

December 14 – 24

Filled with dancing, drama, and fighting between toys and mice, this seasonal ballet is performed by the local Carolina Ballet. Returning for the second year, the Triangle’s most popular The Nutcracker production makes its home at the Martin Marietta Center for Performing Arts in downtown Raleigh. Created in 1892 by famed Russian composer Pyotr Tchaikovsky, this ballet follows Clara, a young girl, and a series of her dreams come to life. Clara is gifted a nutcracker doll by her uncle on Christmas Eve and, unable to sleep, Clara sneaks downstairs to play with her new toy. She falls asleep and the audience is taken on a journey through her dreams. In addition to watching the ballet, check out the Dessertery, a holiday themed pop-up cafe inside the Marietta Center.

For more information, visit https://www.carolinaballet.com/the-nutcracker.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone in Concert

DPAC | Durham, NC

January 26 – 27

Never before seen in Durham is the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone in Concert, where audiences will experience the magic of a live orchestra playing, to picture, the entirety of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. The film will be displayed in high definition over a 40-foot screen as John Williams’s famed score is gorgeously orchestrated. In this movie, we follow the tale of 11 year old Harry Potter who discovers he is the descendent of two wizards, allowing him powers of his own. He is then invited to attend Hogwarts, the school of witchcraft and wizardry, where he makes friends who will aid him as he uncovers the mysterious deaths of his parents and overcomes obstacles thrown at him by the Dark Wizard. This concert has been enjoyed by over three million fans across the globe, and now you can see it in the Triangle. This concert is only available on Jan. 26 and 27, so if you’re interested in the beauty of magical storytelling, take advantage of this experience while you can! Tickets can be purchased through DPAC or Ticketmaster. 

For more information, visit https://www.dpacnc.com/events/detail/harrypotterinconcert-2024.

Candlelight Christmas | NC Symphony feat. Enloe Chamber Choir

Meymandi Concert Hall | Raleigh, NC

December 22 – 23

On Dec. 22 and 23, Enloe’s talented Chamber Concert Choir will join the North Carolina Symphony to perform a myriad of holiday songs. Selections from the performances will include “Carol of the Bells,” “Hark the Herald Angels Sing,” “O Come All Ye Faithful,” “Christmas Canon,” and more!

“I’m really excited. I think we’re putting a lot of hard work into some holiday classics and it’s going to sound really good with the symphony. I’m excited to do it with my friends,” says Chamber member Claire Fellows. 

For more information, visit https://www.ncsymphony.org/events/559/a-candlelight-christmas/.

Fenton Ice Skating

Cary, NC

November 5 – February 5

For the second year, Fenton Ice skating returns to Cary, NC. Enjoy a fun day of skating around the rink and end it off by exploring many of the additional activities that Fenton provides: shopping, restaurants, dine-in movies, green-space swings, and more! The Fenton ice rink is one of the newer attractions, growing in popularity. Skates are included in the initial cost of the tickets and socks and gloves are available for purchase on site. Attend the rink once or purchase season passes and enjoy the attraction all the way through Feb. 5! 

For more information, visit https://fentonnc.com/event/fenton-skate-the-square/.

Busch Gardens Christmas Town

Busch Gardens | Williamsburg, VA

November 11 – January 7

If you and your family are up for an excursion that lies a bit further out of the Triangle Area, Christmas Town at Busch Gardens is a terrific option. Only about a three hour drive from Raleigh will bring you to one of the largest holiday light displays in North America. Every inch of the park is laden with lights, shining within garlands and topping archways. All of the typical adrenaline junkie rides are available: Pantheon, Verbolten, and Alpengeist as the headliners. The classic mock European layout of Busch Gardens keeps its form as each individual section has tailored holiday additions. Special food items, drinks, and shows are available daily. The park opens at 2 p.m. on weekdays and noon on weekends. Even so, the majority of the crowd tends to form after dark. The Eagle’s Eye recommends arriving in the daylight to knock out your desired rides as the lines are relatively short, and then staying for the shows and lights once dusk hits. 

For more information, visit https://buschgardens.com/williamsburg/events/christmas-town/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8MTmnICSgwMV1s7CBB19MgaDEAAYASAAEgIPd_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.