Wake County Implements New Graduation Requirement for 2024-2025 School Year

RALEIGH, NC (Eagle’s Eye)—The Wake County Public School System Board (WCPSSB) has announced a new graduation requirement for high schoolers, effective beginning with the graduating class of 2025. The requirement clearly states that students must send an application to be considered by a board of peers for placement in an English-based elective that will be available as an honors credit.

The student-oriented announcement reads as follows: 

“Hey mamas! Y’all should really pull up (PU) to Bit Dot Ly Slash Eagles Eye 24 B4 Saturday, March 30. You’ll get to spill the hot goss on why YOU should get into Wake County’s new required English-based credit. Yes, there will be GRUB in your future, and yes, it will be LIT(erature).”

The policy requires students to fill out an application that will place them in the course. Per the course description,  students will gain real-world experiences with journalistic writing, helping to expand their wealth of talents and knowledge in communication, leadership, and team-building. The course helps fill in gaps in editorial skill left by the current English curriculum, as well as to provide an outlet for a variety of writing styles and themes.

Students (“the Streets”-Akshat Yadav) are calling it the Enloe Eagle’s Eye (EEE (triple E)). The application can be found at bit.ly/EaglesEye24 and is due for review by March 30, 2024.