EnloeNow: Powderpuff Returns to Enloe

After a one year hiatus, Powderpuff Football is back at Enloe. Organized chiefly by Kaitlyn Allen and Eagle Club, the game took place at 6 PM Tuesday. “Planning this was stressful, but I’m glad it’s back.” said Allen, Eagle Club President. 

The original format of freshmen and sophomores against juniors and seniors had to be dismantled when seniors flooded the form submissions, thus creating two balanced teams: Seniors (wearing pink) and Underclasswomen (donning white). 

The Underclasswomen started hot with an up-the-middle touchdown run by Heaven Mitchell. Both squads then proceeded to score back and forth for the remainder of the game, with Mitchell accounting for 6 touchdowns for the Underclasswomen. Even with this performance, her efforts were not enough to keep the Seniors out of the game. Ellie Maguire and Ruth Rick both made acrobatic catches that proved crucial to the game’s outcome. 

In the second half, the Seniors came out poised defensively, with Josephine Thomas notching a clutch sack and Lili DeMarco grabbing a crucial “spur of the moment” interception, as she put it. In the end, the defense, combined with Keelyn McCabe’s 5 touchdown performance, proved too much for the Underclasswomen to handle, resulting in a 49-63 victory for the 12th graders.

Senior Scarlett Raynor gave her thoughts on her team’s gritty effort: “We pushed through, we played hard, and we made our seniors proud.” said Raynor. “I’m proud of us as a team. Our ladies did excellent.”