The Student News Site of Enloe Magnet High School

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Senior Spotlight: Kate Brewer

Senior Spotlight: Kate Brewer

When you think of Kate Brewer, a few things come to mind: Crescenloe, Lizzy McAlpine, and baking. This year marks her second year in Crescenloe, Enloe’s student-run acapella group, and her first year as one of Crescenloe’s music directors. In her time at Enloe, Kate has poured her heart into the things she loves both in and out of school. She’s a student, artist, and friend of many. Kate uses her talent and skill to make everything that she cares about the best that it can be. 

Kate has always shown a strong passion for music and performing, but she also greatly enjoys working on the technical aspect of leadership in Crescenloe. “I fall more on the role of organizational things because that’s just more of who I am. I love being on the back end of things, doing rehearsal planning, and schedules, running the website, and working with our advisor, Mr. Barilich, to plan our field trips and all those things,” she says. Kate brings a sweet and caring personality to the group, while also keeping things organized and helping to make sure everything runs smoothly. “Crescenloe is […] really near and dear to my heart,” she says. Her passion shows in her work outside of school as well, with her participation in her church’s youth and connection band. It’s clear to see that music is something that means a lot to Kate, and she adds that involving herself with music so much over the years has taught her new ways of expressing herself. She says, “It’s really inspired me to find new ways of pursuing music and has made me realize that that’s such a big passion.” 

When she’s not singing, Kate is an avid baker and you can often find her trying out a new recipe in the kitchen. She loves to learn new ways to make her favorite foods even better, and if you’re close friends with her, you might become a test subject for her new ideas. Kate loves baking for those she loves, learning what their favorite desserts are, and making them the best she can. Her friend, Julia Ojala, says “She’s one of the most thoughtful people you will meet, and will always be there to hype you up or make you comfort cookies if you need them!” Kate is someone you can count on to be there when you need her, always ready to cheer up a friend. 

Talking to her about her senior year, she notes that she doesn’t truly feel like a senior yet. However, she has worked extremely hard to get to where she is. Talking to her friend, Darcy Watts, she further describes what kind of friend Kate is, “Kate is so genuine and […] an amazing person to be around. She is really hard-working and passionate.” Taking dual enrollment classes at Wake Tech has shown her dedication to academics, earning her an acceptance to UNC-Chapel Hill, where she plans to attend in the fall. Inspired by her mother, she currently intends to pursue a degree in political science, with government being another area of interest of hers. 

As a part of Enloe’s National Honors Society, Kate wants to continue community service while also pursuing something she loves. During our interview, I could see her passion as she started talking, and it was hard not to feel her excitement. “I love having conversations with the people who are just as passionate [as I am] and want to pursue [politics] as a career because it just opens up a lot of new ideas and conversations, especially talking with people who aren’t from the same political party.” 

It’s clear to see that Kate has the whole world ahead of her. She’s an ambitious and independent person with a strong passion for the people and things that she loves, and we can’t wait to see what path she follows.