The Student News Site of Enloe Magnet High School

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Enloe Eagle's Eye

Senior Spotlight: Jonah Yinger

Senior Spotlight: Jonah Yinger

Of all the things I have to thank the newspaper for, Jonah Yinger is by far the most important. On the first day of class last year, I came in not knowing anyone. However, I was partnered with Jonah during the first assignment–the partnered get-to-know-you project we do at the beginning of every year. I’d known of him since the previous year and I had always thought that I would like to be friends with him, but I had never met him. Here we were, on the concrete terrace, telling each other our favorite albums, our pet’s names, and our go-to coffee drinks. Little did I know that these facts would become so familiar to me over the next few months, that I would cease to remember a time when I didn’t know Jonah. The next thing I can remember was when we were walking to class together: bonding over shared opinions and taste. He was quickly becoming my best friend. The dogs I had told him about so many months before began to recognize him, never barking when he came over and always finding their place on his lap. My parents began to ask when Jonah would be over next, once offering abruptly to adopt him because of how much they loved him. It became second nature for me to tell Jonah every little thing. Likewise, I always t expected that late-night call from him to update me on his endeavors, the long-form Snapchat video where he ranted while detailing his full skin-care routine, and the constant stream of pictures of his flawless dog: Mavis.

When I think of Jonah, I think of all the ways he has changed me for the better. I’ve noticed his deep love for music and the way his presence has been reflected in my own musical palette. Jonah’s favorite albums are Preacher’s Daughter by Ethel Cain, Guard Dog by Searows, and Stranger in the Alps by Phoebe Bridgers. One time, late at night, we were talking about songs that we think best represent us. The two he said were, Mother Nature’s Son and The Bug Collector. While those aren’t the songs my mind first goes to when I think of Jonah, (usually they’d trend towards the more comedic Sl*t Me Out) those songs both represent his personality best. Jonah is a quintessential example of a fun and safe person to be around. Whenever you need to be cheered up, Jonah is the one to go to for a joke and a way to laugh. However, whenever you need support, Jonah is there and willing to listen. 

Jonah’s favorite color is green. 

Green, like the leaves on the trees…

Green, like the colors of his alma mater (Enloe High School) …

Green, like the natural environment he strives to conserve …

Green, like the Duolingo bird.

Emphasis on that last one though. One thing about Jonah Yinger is his dedication to that language-learning phone application. Stopping at nothing, not even walking in the school halls or being in the mountains with little-to-no service, to keep his streak. He has spent time learning Italian, Spanish, and Greek (though we’re sure there are more). Furthermore, This interest in knowledge extends beyond languages. It’s not a rare occurrence for me to receive a late-night text that is simply a link to a Wikipedia page of something he’s learning about. The categories range from geographic anomalies to stories of true crime events. This dedication doesn’t just present itself in individual endeavors, though; Jonah shows no lack of diligence when it comes to school. This spring, not only will he graduate with a high school diploma, but also an associate’s degree in science. This newspaper has benefited so much from his superior A+E and Satire editing skills (thanks for making us funny).

After all that, where will this wonderful person be going after his four years at the illustrious Enloe High School? This fall Jonah will be attending North Carolina State University with a major in Conservation Biology. He has already found a roommate so don’t come begging. He has been accepted into their study abroad program and will be studying in Prague this summer. Additionally, he is going on a (fully planned by Jonah Yinger himself) road trip to Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico. He will spend some time in the mountains with his best friend, and prepare to be an alpha wolf at NC State in the fall. 

Wherever your life may take you, Jonah Yinger, you will do amazing things, hike amazing trails, and reach amazing heights (literally and figuratively). We know you will continue to grow into the amazing person you are. The light you bring to the Eagle’s Eye has left an unimaginable impact on us all, and we will continue with the lively spirit of Jonah in our hearts!