Enloe Predicts the 2023 Oscars

2022 was another great year for movies. Blockbusters made a big comeback, several actors made their long-awaited return to the screen, and Morbius somehow flopped twice at the box office. (Spoiler alert, it won’t be winning any awards.)

For each of the major categories, we’ve picked a winner, as well as a sleeper who could make an upset and a snub who should have at least gotten a nomination. In addition, we asked students to pick their favorite from each category.

Best Picture

• “All Quiet on the Western Front”
  • “Avatar: The Way of Water”
  • “The Banshees of Inisherin”
  • “Elvis”
  • “The Fabelmans”
  • “Tàr”
  • “Top Gun: Maverick” 
  • “Triangle of Sadness” 
  • “Women Talking” 
  • “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

Everything Everywhere All at Once is a good way to describe all the accolades that A24’s smash hit has racked up since the start of awards season, and for good reason. It’s a wild, heartbreaking, and off-the-wall insane thrill ride that does just about everything possible in 139 minutes. But don’t get it twisted, at the center of the absurd imagery and intense philosophy is a deeply emotional and relatable story about family, fate, and how we live our lives.

Sleeper: “Top Gun: Maverick”

It’s been 30 years since summer blockbusters had any significant weight in awards conversations, but if anyone can lead them back, it’s Tom Cruise. Top Gun: Maverick may be military propaganda, but it’s undeniably fun military propaganda. Plus, a little bit of nostalgia never hurts.

Snub: “Babylon”

Damian Chazelle, quite simply, can do no wrong. He’s 4/4 with his feature films, and Babylon is no exception. His energetic, three-hour romp through 1920s Hollywood has all the staples of his usual style: bold camera movements, a tragic success story, and an ending that’ll knock you off your feet.

Student’s Pick: “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

Best Actress

• Michelle Yeoh, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
  • Ana de Armas, “Blonde”
  • Andrea Riseborough, “To Leslie”
  • Michelle Williams, “The Fabelmans”
  • Cate Blanchett, “Tàr”

It takes special talent to make a movie like Tàr work. 160 minutes of music talk isn’t exactly exciting, but Cate Blanchett’s performance keeps the audience hooked to the screen the entire time. Without her, the movie would dissolve into a boring mess. With her, it’s a Best Picture nominee.

Sleeper: Michelle Yeoh, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

After a long and illustrious career in the Asian movie scene, Michelle Yeoh has finally gotten some long-overdue recognition in the West, and cemented her status as a household name across just about the entire world. Now, she could finally see a well-deserved Oscar come her way.

Snub: Viola Davis/Dianne Deadwyler, “The Woman King” and “Till” 

Andrea Riseborough’s extensive networking and advocating from fellow actresses won her a surprise nomination, but it also exposes an ugly truth about Hollywood. Without her connections, the nomination would have likely been awarded to Viola Davis or Dianne Deadwyler, two black actresses who don’t have the powerful connections available to Riseborough. The Academy has since confirmed her nomination, but hopefully this will motivate future voters to consider Davis and Deadwyler.

Student Pick: Michelle Yeoh, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

Best Actor

• Colin Farrell, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
  • Brendan Fraser, “The Whale”
  • Paul Mescal, “Aftersun”
  • Bill Nighy, “Living”
  • Austin Butler, “Elvis”

Earlier this year, Austin Butler took the world by storm with his shockingly realistic depiction of Elvis. Two years after the movie finished filming, he still has the distinctive southern drawl, and can’t seem to get rid of it. If that isn’t dedication to his craft, then who knows what is.

Sleeper: Paul Mescal, “Aftersun”

There’s a good reason Paul Mescal was able to break through in a year filled with strong performances. The soul-crushing and layered role of a depressed father allows him to fully flex his acting chops. Regardless of if he wins, we can expect him back in this category sooner rather than later.

Snub: Tom Cruise, “Top Gun: Maverick”

The last true movie star just gave the dying box office a 1.5 billion dollar jumpstart, and in soaring fashion. His great performance is bolstered by a commitment to doing his own stunts, and he’s long past due for an Oscar. However, it seems like he’ll have to wait another year.

Student Pick: Brendan Fraser, “The Whale”

Best Supporting Actress

• Hong Chau, “The Whale”
  • Kerry Condon, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
  • Jamie Lee Curtis, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
  • Stephanie Hsu, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
  • Angela Bassett, “Black Panther, Wakanda Forever”

After Chadwick Boseman’s tragic death, it was inevitable that the Black Panther sequel would be extra emotional. As his fictional mother, Angela Bassett bears the brunt of the movie’s emotional weight, and does so with extraordinary skill. It’s hard to imagine any other actresses pulling off the role as well as she did.

Sleeper: Stephanie Hsu, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

At the heart of Everything Everywhere All at Once’s multitude of themes lies Stephanie Hsu. She delivers a moving performance that miraculously balances everything from nihilism to intergenerational trauma to ADHD. The first-time nominee has a remarkably good case for her first Oscar.

Snub: Janelle Monáe, “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”

It’s always hard to play two characters in one movie, but Janelle Monáe pulls it off perfectly. Amongst the star-studded cast of Glass Onion, she manages to outshine her costars. Also, her southern accent is 100 times better than Daniel Craig’s.

Student Pick: Angela Bassett, “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”

Best Supporting Actor

• Brendan Gleeson, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
  • Bryan Tyree Henry, “Causeway”
  • Barry Keoghan, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
  • Judd Hirsch, “The Fabelmans”
  • Ke Huy Quan, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

Following his iconic roles in 1985’s The Goonies and the Indiana Jones franchise, Ke Huy Quan stepped away from the screen for nearly 30 years. Then he came back in the most impressive way possible, as the infectiously lovable Waymond Wang. It’s impossible to watch Everything Everywhere All at Once without becoming enamored with his childlike, unwavering optimism.

Sleeper: Brendan Gleeson, “The Banshees of Inisherin”

The Banshees of Inisherin is an absurd, dark comedy, but Brendan Gleeson’s performance keeps it heartfelt and close to home. He makes Colm’s sudden sullenness and depression tragically real, as he faces isolation and depression off the coast of Ireland.

Snub: Paul Dano, “The Fabelmans” and “The Batman”

Paul Dano had two roles that could have earned him a best supporting actor nomination this year, as Sammy’s father in “The Fabelmans” and the Riddler in “The Batman.” Both performances wouldn’t be considered together, but regardless it’s an impressive display of range from an even more impressive actor.

Student Pick: Ke Huy Quan, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”